On 4/15/20 4:40 PM, John Mellor wrote:
  On 2020-04-15 16:13, José Abílio Matos wrote:
 > . . .
> The only profile he has it Firefox.  I do not think he even has any docs or pictures, but I will check.

Firefox can be tricky to restore, as it uses a non-trivial directory path to keep everything.  If he is on any of the latest versions of Firefox, he can use their new Sync feature to preserve all his passwords, settings, bookmarks, etc.  I did that twice, and it works beautifully.  Unfortunately, it does not also do Thunderbird settings, but maybe that's ok.  Pictures, documents, etc are best backed up and restored to a thumbdrive.

What do you mean by "non-trivial"? Everything is in "~/.mozilla/firefox". Everything Thunderbird is in "~/.thunderbird". For backup purposes, just make a copy of the entire home directory. Assuming the default configuration, /home is a separate partition and won't be touched during a reinstall.