On Fri, 24 Apr 2020 at 13:21, bruce <badoug...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi/Morning.
>
> This is a continuation of my looking to nail down what should be
> Monitored/Scanned to secure a Fed server/VM.
>
> I've looked over a number of Monitor apps (Solarwinds/Nagios/Zabbix/etc).
> Can't really find a good list of the things that should be monitored, so
> I've compiled the following list.

Years ago I found that monitoring for attempts to access/probe ports from
boxes I didn't manage was detecting compromised systems (mostly Windows).
 IT then installed tools to block attempts to access unauthorized ports or
domains on the internet (and then take offending boxes off to be
reimaged).    I did have to document our need to access a few blacklisted
sites (there is an industry of  people filing complaints against legit
sites for political reasons or because they had been fired from a company
that used the site). That had the effect of greatly reducing the unwanted
access attempts.   It would be interesting to know what capabilities the
open source have to watch for suspicious connection attempts.

I should also mention that the Usenix Association makes issues of their
";logon:" magazine public a year after publication.  These contain reports
from security interest groups, book reviews, and articles highlighting
tools for security monitoring.

> I'm thinking the monitoring/scanning process needs to check for,
>  or handle the following:
> -user attempts to access a system/ssh interaction/- logins/access
> there's a ddos on one of the VM/webapps
> rootkit/file issue
> possible intrusion attempts
>  -for ports
>  -for log files
>  -for user accounts
> files/dirs -perms/user owner
> log files
> system/services   -- required services running... invalid services disabled
> cron
> dirs/files/filesystem
> website
> db
> config file issues
> rootkit issues
> malware issues
> vulnerability issues   -- vuls.io
> selinux
> partitions for the drive
> firewall
>
> mysqld
>
> httpd
>
> nfs
>
> sshd
>
> -php valid
> -python valid
> -package scan
> -pip scan
> -pecl scan
> -should the libs be scanned?
> -how to scan/check for/alert on invalid apps running?
>
> config files -- valid/invalid
>
> Feel free to add or comment on anything I've listed.
>
> Once I narrow down the list, I'll figure out which tool/dashboard to use
> for the Monitoring/Scanning. I might have to also have a separate Dashboard
> (ELK?) to handle the log analysis/display.
>
> Thanks

George N. White III