On Fri, 01 May 2020 22:54:06 +0200
Dario Lesca <d.le...@solinos.it> wrote:

> Il giorno ven, 01/05/2020 alle 11.15 -0700, stan via users ha scritto:
> > protected_packages
>
> This method cause a problem:
>
>    $ sudo dnf update
>    Last metadata expiration check: 0:53:56 ago on Fri May  1 21:53:49
>    2020.
>    Error:
>     Problem: The operation would result in removing the following
>    protected packages: python2-gobject, python2-gobject-base
>    (try to add '--skip-broken' to skip uninstallable packages)
>
>    Better put "exclude=python2-gobject python2-gobject-base" into
> /etc/dnf/dnf.conf :
>
>    $ sudo dnf update
>    Last metadata expiration check: 0:58:34 ago on Fri May  1 21:53:49
> 2020. Dependencies resolved.
>    Nothing to do.
>    Complete!

Interesting.  I thought this would be equivalent to exclude.  They must
run at different points in the process.  Exclude removes before
consideration of updates, protected stops the operation after
consideration of updates.  I wonder if protection causing an error is a
bug;  it's pretty useless if it prevents all updates because of an
error by protecting an obsolete package, one of its intended purposes.