On 2020-05-21 05:16, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> Just an update on this. After faffing around trying to recover the
> failing disk, I decided to replace it and start afresh.
>
> I formatted 2 1TB drives with ext4 and created a new md volume as
> RAID1. However they are taking many hours to sync, despite being empty.
> Is this normal?

Just "lurking" here since it has been a very long time since I've configured
RAID.

But I have a question.  You said you're starting from scratch?  Meaning adding
a RAID
array as separate entity to an existing system?  If that is the case, I thought
the steps
would have been.

mdadm --create . . . .

and then

mkfs.ext4 -F /dev/md0

That aside, is

Resync Status : 46% complete

increasing, albeit slowly?

--
The key to getting good answers is to ask good questions.