I have a powered USB dock with a couple of SATA drives configured as
RAID1, and used only for nightly backups. The (minimal) manual for the
dock tells me it will power down after 30 minutes idle time, however I
don't see this happening. I presume that something (such as the md
system) is touching the drives periodically.

What is the fstab option to have the drives mounted only when accessed?
This used to be automount (or autofs) but with systemd getting its
fingers into everything I know longer know how to do this.

Can the drive be automatically unmounted if not in use? I presume this
would stop md from trying to check it and hence prevent the dock from
keeping it powered on.

poc