On Mon, 8 Jun 2020 at 04:40, Bob Marcan <bob.mar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Jun 2020 20:51:54 -0400
> Fred Smith <fre...@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jun 08, 2020 at 07:59:43AM +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> > > On 2020-06-08 07:45, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> > >
> > > Sometimes I feel it is unfortunate that the term "directory" is used
> when a "folder" would seem better
> > > in some cases.
> >
> > they were called directories long before Apple (or was it MS?) decided
> > to "simplify" it by calling them folders.

Folders are part of the "Desktop" metaphor, which goes back to the 1930's
with Vannevar Bush's Memex.    Directories are the low-level building
blocks
for GUI folders.

> But to list it, the command is "dir".
> Seems almost nobody is using the command line.
> GUI for everything.
> I like to see how will they solve the repetitive task. :-)

Too many do it with 100's of mouse clicks all day long, day
after day resulting in RSI, and painful to watch.   Sometimes
I offer to provide a bash loop. Now ESA has a system called
SNAP, programmed in Java, which can greatly reduce the
number of mouse clicks in certain image processing workflows.
You can connect operation icons using a GUI to produce
an image processing workflow graph.  Internally the system
has a graph processing facility that splits large images into
tiles and loops through the individual pixels,

Users only need to select files in the GUI, fill in some
forms for parameters and click on "Run".  There is a batch
processor where you provide a list of input files -- bash loops
can't compete.

--
George N. White III