On Tue, Jun 02, 2020 at 10:57:10AM +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> I have a powered USB dock with a couple of SATA drives configured as
> RAID1, and used only for nightly backups. The (minimal) manual for the
> dock tells me it will power down after 30 minutes idle time, however I
> don't see this happening. I presume that something (such as the md
> system) is touching the drives periodically.
>
> What is the fstab option to have the drives mounted only when accessed?
> This used to be automount (or autofs) but with systemd getting its
> fingers into everything I know longer know how to do this.
>
> Can the drive be automatically unmounted if not in use? I presume this
> would stop md from trying to check it and hence prevent the dock from
> keeping it powered on.

I have an external 4 drive USB enclosure also for nightly backup.  No
raid, JBOD.

I use hdparm's -S option (sleep timeout) to set the drives own sleep
time.  I think I use 10 or 20 min.  The drives still look like they
are mounted, but their activity lights are all out during the day.

If I do access one of them, say do a df, cd, or ls, they all wake up
but there is a delay of 10-20 seconds before my command completes.

Jon
--
Jon H. LaBadie                  jo...@jgcomp.com