On Fri, 2020-06-26 at 16:00 -0700, Samuel Sieb wrote:
I messed around
enough that I confused that USB controller and that entire bus was dead.
   Fortunately, I managed to reset the controller and got it back by
telling the driver to remove it and then add it back.

How did you do that? Did it involve physically pulling and reinserting
the drive?

Somehow I ended up in /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ehci-pci, but in your case it might need to be /sys/bus/pci/drivers/xhci-pci since you're dealing with a USB 3 device. In there are links to the USB pci devices that are managed by this driver. From the logs you included, it would be "0000:00:14.0" in your case. Doing "echo 0000:00:14.0 > unbind" will disconnect the entire usb bus on that device and "echo 0000:00:14.0 > bind" will re-initialize it.

(Note the message from mdadm. The RAID array has /dev/sdd and /dev/sde,
but, again, RAID has already been stopped before running udisksctl.)

I really have my doubts about that. Something definitely still has the drives open at this point. How did you stop it?