On 16/08/2020 08:43, Cătălin George Feștilă wrote:
/var/lib/ntp/ is empty ...
I have settings for chrony ... vim /etc/chrony.conf with the line:
# Record the rate at which the system clock gains/losses time.
driftfile /var/lib/chrony/drift
[mythcat@desk ~]$ cat /var/lib/chrony/drift
           -12.876545             3.064993

It looks to me as if that 'driftfile' reference is just defining the location of the file that holds the offset and drift rate. It isn't a command, it's a 'directive' for chrony.conf.

man chrony.conf

The driftfile directive allows a file to be specified into which chronyd can
store the rate information. Two parameters are recorded in the file.
           The first is the rate at which the system clock gains or loses time,
expressed in parts per million, with gains positive. Therefore, a value of
           100.0 indicates that when the system clock has advanced by a second,
it has gained 100 microseconds in reality (so the true time has only advanced
           by 999900 microseconds). The second is an estimate of the error
bound around the first value in which the true rate actually lies.

HTH

John P