On 2020-08-24 04:19, Tom H wrote:
On Sun, Aug 23, 2020 at 3:30 AM ToddAndMargo via users
On 2020-08-22 15:07, ToddAndMargo via users wrote:

I use absolute paths when I will sometimes be operating
outside the shell.

Okay, before someone tells me that bash programs ALWAYS
run inside the shell and I do not path many of the other
comands, it is because I program in Raku a lot. I ADORE
Raku. (The documentation stinks though.) And I use
nmcli a lot inside Raku.

And I prefer run system command OUTSIDE the shell, especially
since my programs often run outside the shell as well.

I guess that what you call "outside the shell" means non-interactively.

In Perl 5, you can set the PATH just like in a shell script with
'[local] $ENV{PATH} = "...";'. Didn't Raku keep this or replace it
with something of similar purpose?

I have forgotten most of what I learned in Perl 5.  When
Perl 6 hit, I jumped on it.  I program in Top Down and
live and both modules and subroutines.  Perl's 5 method
of calling subs is a freaking nightmare.  Raku's
sub declarations are a dream.

By "outside the shell", I mean that bash and friends are
not involved.  $PATH is part of bash's shell.  The programs
themselves are call directly.

In Raku, it looks like this:

$proc  = run( @RunArray, :err, :out,  :bin );

You place each parameter in a separate cell.  This gets around
the "space" in the parameter issue