+1
We have become throwers-away rather than fixers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgJ-Wd9hGy8

On Tue, 27 Oct 2020 at 11:25, Roger Heflin <rogerhef...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think it is simple, in my experience your assertions are right on
> the money.  They can't be bothered to learn it and/or they aren't good
> enough to learn it.  If it is difficult for them to learn and/or they
> cannot learn it then they are doomed to failure on the re-write as
> they simply aren't good enough developers to redo it .    Act like a
> developer: when your car runs badly, just melt it down and rebuild it
> from scratch, that must be easier than understanding how it is broken
> and fixing it.
>
> Not sure how one believes if they cannot debug the last script/program
> they wrote (or someone else did) that the new script/program will be
> any different.   Developers seems to believe that all previous authors
> were incompetent and did things for no good reason and that they can
> do a significantly better job this time so want to start over.  Too
> many people have told me that unlike the past team that failed using a
> given process,this time we are going to do it the exact same way but
> we are going to be perfect and not have the same issues and not fail.
>
> On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 12:04 AM Tim via users
> <users@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 2020-10-26 at 08:46 -0300, George N. White III wrote:
> > > One of the motivations for Wayland was that the X.Org was becoming
> > > unmaintainable and suffered from design choices that are no longer
> > > relevant.
> >
> > Is it really unmaintainable, or is it that programmers just cannot be
> > arsed to learn how to maintain someone else's code?
> >
> > And how does one person determine that some features are no-longer
> > needed?  It's quite clear that in several years of Wayland being around
> > that various features needed by people using X have yet to be
> > implemented.
> >
> > This whole idea of "I can't work on this, let's throw it all out and
> > start again" is just incompetence.  And you'll find several OS projects
> > that have spent many years, repeatedly going through that process and
> > never actually coming to any fruition because of it.
> >
> > Don't let those people near the kernel code.
> >
> > --
> >
> > uname -rsvp
> > Linux 3.10.0-1127.19.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Aug 25 17:23:54 UTC 2020
> x86_64
> >
> > Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.

> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@lists.fedoraproject.org

Stephen E. Perkins, RN               Poetry and Community Health
RuralTechnologies.net                  Linux since Red Hat 5.1, 1998
Open-source Collaboration            Fedora since 2003

“No matter how cynical you become, it’s never enough to keep up.” - Lily
Tomlin