On Mon, Nov 09, 2020 at 10:54:26AM -0800, ToddAndMargo via users wrote:
> On 2020-11-09 10:28, Beartooth wrote:
> > > 3) did you go into BIOS and set the DVD drive to be
> > >      first in the boot order?
>
> >     If only I could get into the BIOS, I think I'd be home free, or
> > almost, provided I could also get it to automount media
>
> When I can not figure out what the magic keys for BIOS
> are, when bios is booting, I press <del>, F1, F2, F8,
> F9, F10, F11, F12

Just for clarification Beartooth,  the time to enter the BIOS
is IMMEDIATELY after starting a reboot.  Probably the first
thing you see, just there briefly, will be a screen say to
press a certain key to enter the BIOS.  It may also be called
"setup" or something else.  But you have to be quick.  Sometimes
it goes away so quickly you don't even see it.

T&M list some of the keys the various BIOSs are looking for.
Maybe add <esc>.  When I don't remember which key accesses the
BIOS I'll reboot and press one 3-5 times, then another ...
until other screens show up.  If I get to the grub menu I'll
more keys.

Once you get into the BIOS (probably a large set of options and menus)
you look for devices to all boot from and boot device order.  I.e. is
it allowed to boot from a hard drive (or a particular hd), What about
from a USB device, or an optical drive, or the network ...

If it is allowed to boot from the optical drive, when does the BIOS
boot loader look at the optical drive?  Before or after the hard disk?
If after, it will not be seen since the BIOS uses the first valid boot
software it sees, your fedora hard drive install.

BTW for doing a cksum of your burned optical disk, the device is probably
/dev/sr0 (maybe /dev/sr1 if you have a pair of optical drives).  Whereever
you downloaded the .iso from should provide a "shaXXXsum" value.  You can
run "sha???sum <your_.iso_file>" and "sha???sum /dev/sr0" and all 3 should
match.  This would also eliminate concerns for the optical drive and take
the diagnosis back to the BIOS.

Jon
--
Jon H. LaBadie                  jo...@jgcomp.com