Is there some Pulse filter I can use to improve the audio quality? What
are people doing in this situation?

simply 'my' consistent experience(s), with absolutely *specific* "why" yet ...

Zoom (free/commercial) used with my 'fully loaded' f32+KDE desktop, Firefox +
extensions/protections, etc etc -- video works, any/all audio is spotty.

Google Meet, video's ok -- audio is completely a non-starter.  I mute the
audio, and do a direct Cell call -- completely avoiding Google.

Jitsi, as much as I'd prefer to be using it, simply can't get both ends of
audio/video working at the same time.  That's with peer-to-peer, not with/thru
my own servers.

I gave up trying to have any chats @ upstream/otherwise re: "it don't work" ... just gets lost in
the usual "works for me", "must be your setup", etc etc uselessness.

All that^ said ... the 'stable', preferred solution here is to create a
VirtualBox instance of minimal -- NOT workstation/desktop -- f32, build it up
to a *nominal* install of XFCE + Firefox -- with minimal extensions.

THAT setup works with Zoom (free/commercial) with any/every mic+cam combo I've
tried.  Each & every time.  Every once in awhile get a video freeze, but
suspect that's network ...

Google meet works better too, but during calls will randomly degrade video &/or
audio into an unintelligible mess.
Jitsi still refuses to work with Firefox.  And I refuse to use Chrome.

YMMV.