On 26/11/2020 22:44, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
Ed Greshko writes:

On 26/11/2020 16:35, Joe Zeff wrote:
On 11/26/20 12:34 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
FWIW, I have a Ubuntu VM and the same flash drive that I used on Fedora works
the same way on
it.  The system mounts it for me, as me.  It is ubuntu 20.04 if that makes any
difference.

Most of the time, flash drives mount properly for my sister too. Once in a
while this comes up for her and/or for me, and I was hoping to get a handle on
how to deal with the issue once and for all.

The next time it happens to you check which file system type is on the drive.

FAT and VFAT don't have ownership written to them as Samuel explained.  And, as
I said, I've never
encountered issues with them.

It seems what's described here is that, for some odd reason, the flash drives
get mounted occasionally as read-only, so this is not an ownership issue.

You don't think someone could mistake not being able to write to the drive
because of an ownership/permission
as it being "read-only"?

---
The key to getting good answers is to ask good questions.