On 12/11/20 2:49 PM, Cameron Simpson wrote:

Note that VLC isn't your only choice. I use mpv a lot myself.

dnf isn't finding mpv.

youtube-dl looks for a config in ~/.config/youtube-dl/config.
Mine says:

     --cache-dir '~/.cache/youtube-dl'
     --add-metadata
     --xattrs
     --no-mtime
     -o
'%(title)s--%(uploader)s@youtube--%(upload_date)s--%(resolution)s--id=%(id)s.%(ext)s'
     -f 'bestvideo[ext=mp4]+bestaudio/best[ext=mp4]/best'

A config file looks like a good idea. I'll come back to this after I've got the basics down pat.

The -f option is what you want for control. It doesn't always seem to do
what I want, but that is the section of the manual you want.

That helped.

I tried "-f bestvideo+bestaudio", but it complained it couldn't merge the two parts. I had to install ffmpeg. Then "-f bestvideo+bestaudio" worked.

I don't know if the "original" format is a knowable thing, I just
presume youtube itself doesn't upscale and that therefore the highest
res should be the original.

I'm not sure of that. I've viewed some youtube videos where the highest resolution available appeared slightly, subtly worse that the next highest. This hints to me that youtube will extrapolate the original up one step to provide a bigger picture. But anything more results in too much quality loss. Makes sense. If I had a camcorder that recorded 144p (256x144), 30 fps, and try to display that as 4k, 60fps, I anticipate I'd see serious pixelization.

Thanks,
Bill.