Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2020 10:20:11 -0600
From: Richard Shaw<hobbes1...@gmail.com>
I've had my HP ENVY Photo 7800 series printer working fine for some time
and then I got stupid.

While looking for a BIOS update for my HP ENVY laptop I noticed there was a
new firmware for my printer and went ahead and installed it. Since then
I've been completely unable to print but I'm not sure 100% of it is the
printer's fault.
<>snip>
And then:
"Unable to locate printer "HP9C7BEF8B3751.local"."
Ideas?

I wonder if the "update" installed a new duplicate conf file, which is not referenced *while printing*, but is referenced through cups when you add the printer.

A global search from various places (/usr, /etc/, /opt, /home/$user, /root) for key word segments in a file name might disclose the duplicates:

find  -H -L . -type f  -iname "*search-term*"

( the *xxx* catches substring matches in a filename).

Geoff