On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 11:55 AM Sreyan Chakravarty <sreya...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Actually it is me who should be thanking you for not giving up.
>
> For me giving up was not an option since that would involve me losing
> all my data.

No problem!

We should talk about a backup plan in another thread :D In my own
case, I never need them, but I have 1/2 dozen completely independent
backups, because I hate my data and I'm constantly trying to destroy
it. (This is turning into a really bad joke but hopefully it's weirdly
amusing. If you like your data you *definitely* should be backing up!
Doesn't matter what the file system is, or if it's on raid, or "safe"
in the cloud, etc.)

>     Full output of repair command over here:
>
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/17EQ5TYJE5a4iwRGTXXj9Hh38btxFBLAJ/view?usp=sharing
>
> 2)  btrfs check --init-csum-tree /dev/mapper/dm_crypt
>
>    This is where the minor bad news happens.
>
>    This command exited with a "Segmentation Fault(Core Dumped)"
>
>    Full output here:
>
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IYnLcw-vkZ2UeH0rOZje4kbhzB_tYaKy/view?usp=sharing

Forwarded this to Btrfs dev, so we'll just have to be patient.

I strongly suggest some kind of backup of the data, and confirm it's
good. Since you were stressed about maybe losing it? Even two copies!
Not anything because it's Btrfs but because it's important to you. Bad
things happen all the time that have nothing to do with the file
system.

Because of the --init-csum-tree failure i'm a bit concerned that it's
possible the --repair step didn't completely repair things. So... just
keep important things backed up. Top priority. If you told me you hate
your data then I wouldn't worry about it.

> Let me know the next steps ie. Do you need BTRFS logs to diagnose the
> root cause of the problem ?

Not sure. I've asked. If there's a request to, we'll run it through
gdb and see what happens.

Can you tell me what you get for:

free -m
btrfs fi us /

It'll give an idea what the memory requirement is for the
init-csum-tree. It really should not be a lot, it's less complicated
than the repair by a lot. Glad that worked though, phew!

--
Chris Murphy