On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 6:21 AM Richard Shaw <hobbes1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 11:49 PM Chris Murphy <li...@colorremedies.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 12:57 PM Richard Shaw <hobbes1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I'm playing around with cryptocurrency and the current one downloads the
>> > whole blockchain and it's at 65GB and growing. I think the growing part is
>> > the problem. That and it's being stored on /home which is a spinning disk
>> > not an SSD like the system disk.
>> >
>> > I'm seeing a lot of IO wait in glances and the system is sluggish even
>> > though CPU and memory usage is relatively low.
>>
>> It'd be useful to know if this is some kind of database, if it's one
>> big file or many, if it's doing insertions (typical with database) or
>> append. It might just be busy and will settle itself out once it's
>> done downloading. And even maybe know what the program is. And I can
>> ask folks on #btrfs.
>

> I would think a blockchain is roughly equivalent to a database but I have no
> idea if the blocks were downloaded in order (appended) or randomly
> (inserted). The single file (data.mdb) ended up being 96GB in total. It seems
> to have settled down as I expected but it took about 2 days to download so it
> was a bit frustrating using my computer at that time. Anything that tried to
> access /home (my spinning btrfs drive) would basically stall including
> youtube videos that ran out of cache, browser tabs, etc.

Sounds like that's MariaDB, mysql.

Can you post cat /proc/mounts for this file system?

> The program/cryptocurrency is Monero and was downloaded via Flatpack (I
> think, could be an Appimage).

There are two things to try if anyone wants to reproduce.

Change scheduler from bfq to mq-deadline.
Swap out the containing directory for a subvolume.

Of course, don't do both at the same time.

A/B testing ext4 vs Btrfs is also useful. I'll put it on my todo, but
it might be a little while before I get to it.

--
Chris Murphy