On Sat, 2021-03-13 at 08:49 -0500, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> On Mar 12, 2021, at 19:05, Ed Greshko <ed.gres...@greshko.com> wrote:
> >
> > I don't think systemd was meant to solve these sorts of issues
>
> Honestly, systemd is more equipped to handle this kind of issue than any init
> system before it.  Being able to attach dependencies in a .mount unit to a
> .service unit is something that would have required a bunch of hacks or the
> autofs service.
>
> I use a network filesystem every day that has a .mount unit that requires a
> .service to be launched before it can be mounted (kAFS, see kafs-utils
> package).  It isn’t as complicated as the usb power on/off, but not outside
> of the realm of possibility.

I modified the .mount and .service files from kasf-client, and added a
.automount file. I also commented out the appropriate line in
/etc/fstab.

# cat raid.mount
[Unit]
Description=External raid mount
ConditionPathExists=/raid
Wants=dock.service

[Mount]
What=none
Where=/raid
Type=ext4

[Install]
WantedBy=local-fs.target

# cat dock.service
[Unit]
Description=Power the dock up or down
After=local-fs.target
DefaultDependencies=no

[Service]
Type=oneshot
#ExecStartPre=/sbin/modprobe -q kafs
ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/dock up
ExecStop=/usr/local/bin/dock down

# cat raid.automount
[Unit]
Description=Automount /raid
[Automount]
Where=/raid
TimeoutIdleSec=300

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

I then rebooted:
# findmnt /raid
# # systemctl list-units|egrep dock\|raid
  raid-check.timer      loaded active waiting   Weekly RAID setup health check
(not relevant here)

So nothing I did appears to have had any effect. The
/usr/local/bin/dock script, which logs its activity, is not being
called. The raid.automount is not running, and attempting to access the
/raid directory does nothing. There is nothing related to either 'dock'
or 'raid' in the journal.

I assume there must be a basic error here, but I'm at a loss.

poc