The dd-rescue package on linux should work just fine.   Assuming you
can get the disk to respond.  If the disk is taking 180s then the disk
is not responding at all, and even if the disk were responding in 10
sec any rescue program will take longer than anyone will wait.  The
software tools will only work if the disk is bad sectors, with the
disk not responding at all that makes it more likely the disk is
simply dead, or the power supply/usb controller is dead.

Best plan would be to get it out of the usb enclosure and see if
smartctl will return anything useful and see if the disk behaves
better.