On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 3:47 PM Richard Shaw <hobbes1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been running MythTV for about 10 years now and I've finally outgrown my
> media storage, currently a single 4TB disk drive. I have purchased 3
> additional drives of the same model and plan to put them into a BTRFS RAID1
> array.
>
> Setting nodatacow on the media directories is a no-brainer, but what other
> optimizations can I do?

nodatacow means nodatasum and no compression. If the file becomes
corrupt, it can't be detected or corrected.

Due to all the firmware bugs, I tend to mix make/model drives rather
than get the same ones that are all going to have the same bug at the
time time if something goes wrong like a power fail or crash right
after going a bunch of writes. Whereas separate bugs, btrfs can always
do fix ups from the good drive whenever the bad one misbehaves.

If they've proven their reliability in case of crash or power fail, as
in start doing a big file(s) copy, and yank power on all the drives at
once:  Reboot. Reattach the drives. Remount. Any errors? Does it
mount? If you can do this 10x without errors, it might be OK.

Still, I'd probably opt to set a udev rule for all the drives and
disable the write cache. It isn't worth the trouble.

--
Chris Murphy