On Thu, 2021-04-22 at 14:32 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> I should have mentioned, not talking about other places, but here in
> Taiwan it seems the TTL on dynamic IP's is rather long.  My nephew,
> while he doesn't run a web server, has told me he gets the same IP
> address even if his notebook has been off for a day or more.

It only seems to be around 10 minutes, here.  I sometimes wonder if
ISPs do that on purpose, so that if your connection screws up and you
do the ridiculous turn off and wait 15 minutes (as if your equipment
were steam-powered), you might end up going through a different route.

I remember some Windows dill trying to tell me that DHCP leases could
only last a few hours, and you'd have to reboot to be able to keep
using your computer.  That may well have been some shortcoming of the
dire software he was using, but it certainly wasn't to do with DHCP.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.24.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Apr 8 19:51:47 UTC 2021 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.