On Thu, Jun 03, 2021 at 05:23:20PM -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 12:20 PM Jon LaBadie <jo...@jgcomp.com> wrote:

On my 3 systems, F34, F34, and CentOS7, they are
1, 2, and 6 years old respectively.

Are old rescue kernels still useful?  (6 years?)

They might be useful to a sysadmin, I think they are useless. The
rescue kernel is really just a "no host-only" initramfs that contains
a bunch of extra dracut and kernel modules that the host only
initramfs doesn't. The difficulty is the rescue initramfs can't do a
full graphical boot once /usr/lib/modules/ dir for that kernel has
been removed, which was likely in its first 4 weeks following
installation.

Since you won't get graphical boot anyway, I'm not sure you have a
good chance of dracut building a new host only initramfs that
contains the driver needed for whatever new hardware  you've added or
changed to. It's pretty esoteric landing in a dracut shell even for
experienced users. So I am not a fan.

Might it be useful for /usr/lib/modules/rescue... (and maybe also
/usr/src/kernels/rescue...) to be created/preserved for the rescue kernel?

--
Jon H. LaBadie                  jo...@jgcomp.com