On 3 Jul 2021 at 15:35, Dave Stevens wrote:

Date sent:              Sat, 3 Jul 2021 15:35:02 -0700
From:                   Dave Stevens <g...@uniserve.com>
To:                     users@lists.fedoraproject.org
Subject:                Re: Clonezilla.
Send reply to:          Community support for Fedora
users <users@lists.fedoraproject.org>

> On Sat, 3 Jul 2021 16:04:41 -0600
> Chris Murphy <li...@colorremedies.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure what to recommend without knowing the use case.
>
> Me too. I recently wanted to clone a bootable 32GB usb stick and what
> worked easily for me once I found it was
>
> 1) dd if=/dev/sdb1 of=MyUSBClone.iso
>
> 2) etcher with the iso as input and the new stick (also 32GB) as output

Can't speak for Clonezilla, but have been
maintaining the G4L diskimage project on
sourceforge since 2004. It's primary operation uses
dd to make and restore images, but also does
compression.

Not sure how long you process took, but usually
using bs=1M can make a difference.

Also, the image file created will be the size of the
original.

Long ago had done a clean install of Fedora Core 3
on an 80 GB drive. Did an image with compression,
and it created a 12G image. Then cleared the
unused space, and redid image and it was just 2.5G.

G4L is basicly a dialog front-end to create the dd
commands to do images.

An example:
(dd bs=1M
if=/mnt/local$localpath$localimagename
2>/dev/null |lzop -d -c - |jetcat-mod -f 5000 -p
$writesize 2>$progout |dd bs=1M of=$localrest
2>/dev/null) &

Produces a progress bar screen to show relative
progress. Also, has options that allow putting
images onto ftp  or other servers..

Good Luck on things.