On Tue, Aug 24, 2021 at 11:43:10AM -0600, Joe Zeff wrote:
On 8/24/21 11:03 AM, Samuel Sieb wrote:
umask isn't an environment variable.  It's a kernel setting for the process.  Why are you using "su" anyway instead of "sudo"?  (I don't know if that will change anything regarding the umask, but it's better to not have a root password.)

I can't speak for anybody else, but I use su because I know the root password and don't see any reason not to use it when appropriate. And, back when I first started learning Linux, sudo wasn't automatically provided and by the time it was, my finger macros were all set to use su.

Things you do after an su are not logged.
Only the su itself is logged.

Each command run with sudo is logged.

Probably can be circumvented by doing "sudo bash".
Good reason to not allow shells to be sudo'ed :)

-- Jon H. LaBadie                  jo...@jgcomp.com