On Fri, Sep 10, 2021 at 11:45 AM Jack Craig <jack.craig.ap...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Osuggestions?? tia, jackc...
>

>> Translates to hdmi:0,[0,1,2,3,4]
>>
>> Previously you showed the following output.  This shows device as card
>> and device as device
>>
>> > aplay -lv
>> > **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
>> > card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
>> >   Subdevices: 1/1
>> >   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>> > card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
>> >   Subdevices: 0/1
>> >   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>> > card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
>> >   Subdevices: 1/1
>> >   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>> > card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]
>> >   Subdevices: 1/1
>> >   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>> > card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 10: HDMI 4 [HDMI 4]
>> >   Subdevices: 1/1
>> >   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>>
>> Translates to hdmi:0,[3,7,8,9,10]
>>
>> This is different than the above output.  WHat did you do in the
>> interim?  With the newer output, hdmi:0,1 should work, because alsa has
>> now found it.
>>

> *i have made no file updates, just started populating /etc/pipewire from
> /usr/share/doc/sound/pipewire*
> *i have ...*
>

> *.config/pipewire/media-session.d/default-routes.config/pipewire/media-session.d/media-session.conf.config/pipewire/media-session.d/bluez-monitor.conf.config/pipewire/pipewire.conf*
>

>> > my  .config/pipewire/media-session.d/default-routes has,...
>> >
>> > *{  "default.route.alsa_card.pci-0000_03_00.1:profile:off": [ ],
>> >
>> "default.route.alsa_card.pci-0000_03_00.1:profile:output:hdmi-stereo-extra1":
>> > [ ]}*
>> >
>> > *should i have hdmi:0,2 as default route??*
>>
>> If the output from aplay -lv or aplay -L* still shows that hdmi:0,0 is
>> legitimate, I think that is what you should be using.  I am not sure how
>> to translate that into pipewire speak.  I'm not even sure that the above
>> is looking at the nvidia card as the pci in the name is confusing.
>> What do you see if you do  lsmod?  How about  lspci?  Is the hdmi card
>> in either of them?
>>

> i see ...
>
>  aplay -L
> null
>     Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
> samplerate
>     Rate Converter Plugin Using Samplerate Library
> pipewire
>     PipeWire Sound Server
> upmix
>     Plugin for channel upmix (4,6,8)
> vdownmix
>     Plugin for channel downmix (stereo) with a simple spacialization
> default
>     Default ALSA Output (currently PipeWire Media Server)
> hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
>     HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
>     HDMI Audio Output
> hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1
>     HDA NVidia, HDMI 1
> [...]
context.exec = [
    #{ path = <program-name> [ args = "<arguments>" ] }
    #
    # Execute the given program with arguments.
    #
    # You can optionally start the session manager here,
    # but it is better to start it as a systemd service.
    # Run the session manager with -h for options.
    #
*    # { path = "/usr/bin/pipewire-media-session"  args = "" }*

 i did comment out this pw-media-session line...