On 27/09/2021 14:52, Joe Zeff wrote:
On 9/26/21 9:55 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
What DE are you using?

Xfce4

AFAIK, no DE places files in a user's Desktop directory.  That would simply be
a wrong thing to do.

Why?  If you want to make sure that it appears on the user's desktop, that's the easiest way to do it.

Why?

Because developers of DE's shouldn't be putting things in your user area?  That
is your area.
You want them making decisions for you?

I just created a new user on an F34 Xfce system.  After login the usual
directory structure is created.

[maria@f34x ~]$ ls
DesktopDocumentsDownloadsMusicPicturesPublicTemplatesVide

And the Desktop diretory is empty.

[maria@f34x ~]$ ll Desktop/
total 0

Yet, on the desktop there is a "trash", "file system", and "home" entry.  So,
apparently, the developers had found a less invasive way to do it.

Also, please note that the Xfce Spin does not install thunderbird.  My VM is a
clean install.

[maria@f34x ~]$ rpm -q thunderbird
package thunderbird is not installed

So, if you have a thunderbird.desktop in ~/Desktop it was added after install.

And the install of thunderbird does not add anything in user's ~/Desktop.

--
Nothing to see here