On Oct 13, 2021, at 11:23, George Avrunin <avru...@math.umass.edu> wrote:

> I actually removed PackageKit, which stopped the notifications.  But I'll
> keep this in mind in case it gets confused on another machine or I have
> some reason to reinstall it on this laptop.  Thanks.

If it was PackageKit, I wonder if it was prompting you to install a firmware
update, but your BIOS wasn’t configured to allow the firmware update to be
applied?  I’ve seen that before. For example, to update the Intel ME it needs
to be enabled, and I normally turn that off (if I can).

--
Jonathan Billings