>From time to time I need to do maintenance on Linux computers that involves
booting an OS other than the one installed on the machine.  Currently I
have 2 computers that need such attention.

In the past I've used Live bootable USB drives.  They have a number of
limitations including:

- they use Gnome.  I'm a KDE guy.
- they lack many of the tools I need - gparted, etc.
- they don't support persistence, so every time I boot with them I'm
running a script to get everything set up to where I was the last time I
booted.

One can supposedly make Live USB images persistent, but 1) it didn't work
when I tried it and 2) there are limitations, including that do a major
upgrade to the Live installation.  (ie, no dnf updates)

So... I'm thinking of installing Fedora35 for real on a USB drive and then
using that for my maintenance work.   Has anyone done this ?  Tips ?
Tricks ?  Advice ?

I'm specifically wondering about setting up partitions on a USB device.
Same as a SATA device ?  Anything special about booting a USB device
instead of a SATA or NVME device ?

Thanks.