Update.

The  USB flash drive I chose (Kingston Data Traveler Exodia, 256GB) was
horrendously slow.  How slow ?  I did the install on an old machine.  It
took forever.  Like an hour.  I thought it was the machine, even though it
has a USB 3.1 port.  This morning I moved to a faster machine and attempted
to do a dnf update on the install.   Again, horrendously slow.  It came to
a complete stop.  I CTRL C'd the update and headed back to my local
computer hardware store.

I chose that particular flash drive because it features USB 3.2 Gen 1
capability and a 5 year warranty !

I replaced the Kingston flash drive with a Western Digital Blue SN550 M.2
NVMe SS, 500GB.  Because it was the right size, on sale and I thought that
a faster SSD would just further overwhelm the USB interface.  Also this SSD
apparently draws less current then some other faster ones and apparently
current draw can be an issue with USB to M.2 SSD adapters.

I mounted the NVMe SSD in a Vantec M.2 NVMe SSD to USB 3.1 Gen 2 type C
external enclosure.  (NST-205C3-SG) I chose this enclosure because it has
heat fins to dissipate the head generated by the SSD.  In fact, this
enclosure has a heat sink that gets installed on the SSD that contacts the
case.  From my reading, heat buildup can be a problem for NVMe SSDs running
in an enclosure like this.

Result: fantastic operating speed !   It is obviously not as fast as
operating on the native OS, but operating from the USB SSD is darn snappy.
I'm used to doing maintenance work with a slow Live USB drive.  THis USB
SSD is a fast Cadillac compared to them.  I am now very happy with my
"maintenance" drive.   I should have done this years ago.

The drive gets warm to the touch during regular use, but nothing alarming
so far.

Aside

An interesting thing happened when I installed F35 on the USB SSD drive
using the Live USB drive :  it chose a plain old file system instead of LVM.

$ df -h
devtmpfs         32G     0   32G   0% /dev
tmpfs            32G     0   32G   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs            13G  1.9M   13G   1% /run
/dev/sda3       465G  4.7G  459G   1% /
tmpfs            32G   24K   32G   1% /tmp
/dev/sda3       465G  4.7G  459G   1% /home
/dev/sda2       974M  198M  709M  22% /boot
/dev/sda1       599M   14M  585M   3% /boot/efi
tmpfs           6.3G  144K  6.3G   1% /run/user/1000