On 25/11/2021 19:38, Gordon Messmer wrote:
On 11/23/21 14:06, John Pilkington wrote:
I'm used to reading messages in order of time of arrival.  Threaded display in Thunderbird, or the presentation of the archive by Hyperkitty, doesn't do this

Right... Hyperkitty also shows messages in threaded mode, where replies are grouped in the list next to the message they are a reply *to*.  Both of those applications are behaving as intended.

In Thunderbird, you might prefer to "Sort By > Subject" and "Sort By > Group by sort".  Or (and perhaps more likely), you'd prefer Conversation View:

https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/gmail-conversation-view/

Thank you for that link. I hadn't been aware of that possibility. But I was really thinking of the Hyperkitty display, which appears as the archive default. Having a too-large local mailbox I don't often use it, and its multiple endpoints seemed less than ideal.