On Thu, 23 Dec 2021 at 09:50, Roger Wells <roger.k.we...@alum.mit.edu>
wrote:

> thanks for the response.
> I found an old version of libgeos_c.so.1 in a directory under home that
> was included in $.LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
> Your response triggered the idea to search for possibilities along that
> line.
> thanks again, sorry for the noise.

You needn't be sorry about falling into one of the most common pitfalls in
POSIX-style systems.

There are under-used tools for managing environment variables so
LD_LIBRARY_PATH can be adjusted
as needed (and preferably not set until a specific environment is loaded).
I learned to use environment
modules on SGI IRIX64.  It is still a thing, the current incarnation is
Lmod,and seems well-supported.
Fedora already uses environment modules to manage switching between mpich
and openmpi, see
"/usr/share/moduiles/mpi".

--
George N. White III