On Sun, Dec 26, 2021 at 1:24 PM Chris Adams <li...@cmadams.net> wrote:

> Often, when the vendors do any security updates, they'll do just the
> minimum needed (which does make sense, since it's also the least likely
> to break devices that can be difficult or impossible to recover from an
> update failure).  If the kernel doesn't have any known and exploitable
> security issues, it'll be left as-is.

fair point. as far as I know, vendors also do their own patching to old
kernel versions too.

which brings me to…

> So, an old kernel version can indicate unmaintained software, or it can
> also indicate conservative update practices.  Unforunately, the first
> case is much more likely.

yeah, that’s what I worry is what happened here. I have no reason to
believe they’re maintaining it in any way. which does leave the potential
for something to slip through the cracks eventually. (it may not have
happened, but it can. even if you’re fully up to date, it still very well
could be an issue)

to be honest - I always assume the worst because I’m never quite sure if
something I’m using is being maintained in some way. (that’s part of the
reason I swapped away from Android for the time being.)

Sent from my iPhone
--
            -slade