On Sun, Dec 26, 2021 at 8:07 AM Robert Moskowitz <r...@htt-consult.com> wrote:

> Quick note:
>
> I am using SSD:
>
> fdisk -l /dev/sda
> Disk /dev/sda: 465.76 GiB, 500107862016 bytes, 976773168 sectors
> Disk model: WDC WDBNCE5000PN
> Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> Disklabel type: dos
>
> But there may be a connection problem.  I have been bouncing the
> notebook in my backpack these passed days.
>
> This Lenovo x140e may be old, but I think clean inside.  Sensors is
> reporting CPU temp of 55C.
>
> This is a new, current install of F35.  I always start clean then move
> over /home from my old SSD with rsync.
>
> I am still using ext4.  I have heard of poor performance reviews still
> with btrfs.  I guess it is time to read up on it.
>
> Nothing much I can do until tonight when I get back home.

Sounds like SSD failure. It'd help to see some logs. If you can boot
from Fedora installer media, use 'mount -o ro' to read-only mount the
ext4 rootfs somewhere, and then point journalctl to the journal
location, something like 'journalctl -k -D
/mnt/var/log/journal/$machineid/ --no-pager'  where you have to just
tab to get the $machineid to fill in, and that should get us a bunch
of dmesg-like output from the most recent boot....which now that i
think about it might not have made it to disk if the SSD is failing.
But it could still provide a hint...

Also including the dmesg for the LiveOS boot might show issues when
you do the above mount.

I would look into doing a backup of at least /home sooner than later too.

Btrfs is faster at some things slower at others. But it'll also detect
SSD pre-failure symptoms before anything else including the drive's
SMART reporting, by showing transient corruption. All such messages
appear in dmesg. Btrfs is more sensitive to pre-failure because it's
checksumming everything, not just the file system. So it'll detect
even a bit flip.

--
Chris Murphy