On Fri, 2022-06-17 at 11:16 -0500, Thomas Cameron wrote:
> But my point is, setting up spf works as expected. I've verified it
> via my emails to known correctly configured mail servers like GMail.
> What I don't understand is why, when it is apparently set up
> correctly, are there mail servers which throw errors when I send
> email through a mailing list. Is it a misconfiguration of the mailing
> list? Is it a misconfiguration of the receivers?

I don't think there's a way around this (for you).  These records are
used to say who can post your mail (only *your* mail servers).

That, in itself, doesn't stop spam.  It relies on other servers
refusing mail appearing to be from you, but coming from an unauthorised
source.  And it wouldn't stop someone sending mail forged as coming
from you, going through your authorised server.  But it's a better spam
identifier than many other schemes.

But when you post to a mailing list, it reposts your mail through them,
still identified as coming from you.  Their server is not on your
authorised list (and shouldn't be).

The only way I can see to avoid that problem is for the mailing list to
not distribute your message from *you*, but rewrite the "from" address
as coming from itself.  People don't like that, because it anonymises
mail (people behave worse when anonymous), and they can't send private
replies (not that some of us want them).

I preferred usenet to mailing lists.  You posted to a group, people
subscribed (or browsed it) if they wanted to see it.  You didn't need
to use an email address, so no spam could come in your direction (only
to the group, which may have reasonably good anti-spam systems).

I've yet to come across an anti-spam system that doesn't stuff
something up (false negatives, false positives, not detecting spam).
If you have to check your (suspected) spam folder each time you get
your mail, what's the point of using it?

System-wide ISP systems are able better than personal spam detection
systems.  In the sense that an ISP gets thousands of emails, and when
scads of identical spam hit their server, it can be flagged and deleted
as spam.  This is completely different from any system (ISP-supplied or
not) that only assesses your inbox in isolation.

Really what's needed to actually stop spam is for all SMTP servers to
require their clients to authenticate, for the servers to verify their
client's identities when they join the service, and to refuse anyone to
post spam in the first place.  But that's never going to happen.
People don't want that level of identity control, anonymity is needed
for some circumstances, and there are service that are set up solely
for spewing spam (they won't agree to do anything to stop spam).

I've said it for many years - the only way to stop spammers is to chop
off their hands.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.66.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed May 18 16:02:34 UTC 2022 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.