| From: Anil Felipe Duggirala <anilduggir...@fastmail.fm>

| I have a laptop with a high dpi monitor, 4k on a 15" screen. 'Im on F36,
Gnome.
| I'm wondering whats the better alternative, change the resolution of the
display or use scaling? (performance and usability)
| Is there any update on fractional scaling? It didn't work last time I tried
it (just really weird behavior, on Wayland at least).

Fractional scaling works for me.  But maybe I don't do anything
tricky.  There may be a better way, but this is what I use:

        dconf write /org/gnome/mutter/experimental-features
"['scale-monitor-framebuffer']"

Yeah, my 15.6" UltraHD notebook display is a little too high
resolution to use straight.

In less extreme cases, I adjust each browser or terminal window
as-needed, when needed.

One hopes that Gnome scaling does a better job of anti-aliasing than
running the display in a non-native resolution.  But I don't actually
know.

As an experiment, I looked at text in a Gnome Terminal on my UltraHD
15.6" display.  Without any scaling settings, each character looks
beautifully formed, even when examined through a magnifying glass.  It
is still beautiful after three or four shrinks.  Perhaps nothing is
lost just pretending the screen is FullHD.  But that's just text.

I'm sure fonts are better on Gnome Terminal than on xterm (I used that
for about 20 years).