On 2022-07-17 15:17, francis.montag...@inria.fr wrote
On Sun, 17 Jul 2022 17:39:35 +0100 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
Actually, according to systemd-system.conf(5), it looks like the
proper place to do this is with a file under
/usr/lib/systemd/system.conf.d, similar to the old rc.d init files.
Presumably that will avoid the setting being overwritten by a new
install.
Well, that was a bust. Turns out that you do have to edit the standard
file(s) to have any effect.
It works for me.
Did you specified the [Manager] tag in the drop-in file ?
Example:
## Weird: systemd seems to uses internally a ...USec name for that
systemctl show --property=DefaultTimeoutStopUSec
DefaultTimeoutStopUSec=1min 30s

mkdir /usr/lib/systemd/system.conf.d
echo -e '[Manager]\nDefaultTimeoutStopSec=5s' >
/usr/lib/systemd/system.conf.d/99-stop-fast.conf

systemctl daemon-reload

systemctl show --property=DefaultTimeoutStopUSec
DefaultTimeoutStopUSec=5s
-- francis
This reminds me SO much of reading old IBM Red Books. You must thoroughly understand the *footnotes* to Chapter 22 before you can actually understand the third paragraph of Chapter 2.
(Cannot now remember whether that was OS/2 or REXX... Lost to human memory.)

And also reminds me why Linux can be considered a cult, as there are arcane and unknown rules controlling how things work.
Geoff

--
             R. Geoffrey Newbury
             954 Owenwood Drive