Patrick O'Callaghan composed on 2022-12-12 16:41 (UTC):

> On Mon, 2022-12-12 at 09:33 -0700, stan via users wrote:

>>> My DE (KDE/Plasma) runs on Console 2 for some reason.

>> So much for my story. :-)  Always something new to learn.  I think
>> they do it just for the kicks of messing with people's heads.  :-)

> I know it used to be on 1, but changed some time ago. I never really
> knew why, or if it was something I did. And the default text console
> was on 7 I think, but I may be misremembering that.

Where X runs depends on:

1-distro selection
2-DM selection
3-packager selection
4-Xorg vs Wayland?

Traditionally, most distros ran the DM on 7, notably including RedHat, Fedora,
SUSE & Mandrake/Mandriva/Mageia. Additional X session went to 8, and if another,
to 9. The arrangement kept all of 1-6 available for shell logins. Some distros
defined a larger or smaller number of available shell logins, so DM and X
session
1 would there land on 5 or 6 or 8.

Somebody at Gnome and/or systemd decided better to put GDM on 1, thereby
reducing
expectations, and the utility of many years of mailing list and forum archives.
So, AFAIK that's where GDM wants to run, which includes Fedora as their
flagship.
I haven't had GDM installed anywhere since RedHat 5.2 last century.

With some combinations of the three or four deps above, the DM goes on 1, but
the
first X session goes on 2. KDM's Xorg sessions remain on 7 in Fedora, and that's
where TDM remains too. All of my Fedoras with Plasma, except one, remain on KDM.
That means I have no Fedoras on LightDM and don't know where it or its Xorg run,
but on openSUSE 15.4 and Mint 20, it and Xorg run on 7. The SDDM exception has
greeter and Xorg Plasma both running on 2, while 1 hosts the last startup
messages
and does not accept keyboard input, leaving shell prompts on 3-6. Mageia 9 runs
SDDM and Plasma Xorg on Xorg on 1.

This schizophrenia makes providing help in various forums more complicated. It
used to be normal to ask if Ctrl-Alt-F1 gets a login prompt when X produced a
black screen, and Alt-F7 to return to X. That can't be counted on any more. My
default away suggestion has migrated to Ctrl-Alt-F3, while instructing a n00bie
how to return to X from a shell prompt is not simple.

I have yet to find a reason to try opening a Wayland session of anything it
supports, so don't know if it makes any difference to the DMs where to run it.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
        based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata