Hi.

As a pure test, I'm thinking of putting together a test app on a cloud
server. I've seen a bunch of blogs/vids/etc.. But I'm concerned about
the security aspects of the test server.

So, are there any solid/serious best practices that the list can
recommend? In looking over Centos/Ubuntu, from what I've seen, most
things should be "similar"

My use case:
 test webapp for users to access, fill out a test form
 test app deals with mysql/email generation

 server should have remote/ssh access
 server should be monitored
 server should have basic ddos (cloudflare) protection
 webserver should have "test" ssl certs (for https)

 server should be updatable -- how to do this in a reasonable manner/policy?
 server -- data redundancy/recovery in case things go fubar
 etc..

 If you have skills in this area, and want to take this offline, that
would be great.

thanks!

my apologies if this is off-topic