ToddAndMargo:
>> So I tried CUPS: 127.0.0.631.  No joy.  CUPS still wanted
>> 127.0.0.1:631.

Joe Zeff:
> That isn't a valid IP address.

Both are valid addresses.

127.0.0.631 is *unlikely* to be in use, but is valid.

127.0.0.1:631 is port 631 at 127.0.0.1.

Valid addresses, but only on the same machine.  127.x.y.z is each
machine's way to refer to itself.

Some people use the different addresses to remind them on whatever
purpose they're using it for.  I don't see any particularly useful
about doing that.

I seem to recall that NTPD did something similar with its use of the
127. addresses.

--

NB:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
I will only get to see the messages that are posted to the list.

The following system info data is generated fresh for each post:

uname -rsvp
Linux 6.0.10-200.fc36.x86_64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sat Nov 26 16:53:11
UTC 2022 x86_64