If the nisdomain is not responding, I would claim the system should still
boot, so I would think that is a bug.  But if systemd/pam is not timing out
on the non-responding nisdomain or the timeout is too high then I would
think that might screw up a significant part of the system because lookups
of passwd/hosts/group access may not work, depending on where else nis
pieces are setup.  I would think if file was first and there is a valid
entry in the file that it should not go to nisdomain, but that may depend
on what the order is in /etc/nsswitch.conf.