On Wed, 28 Dec 2022 15:20:57 -0800
Samuel Sieb wrote:

> Just because they are a cache doesn't mean they are necessarily safe to
> delete while running.  Most applications take care of managing their
> cache files.

I used to try and deal with avoiding backups of "unimportant" stuff
until I discovered that various directories in my dovecot mail directory
had names like "cache" and "temp", but if not restored from backup it
was a lot of work to get mail functioning correctly after restoring.
I finally got it through my head that disk space is pretty darn cheap
and I might as well backup virtually everything. I still skip a few
things that seem gigantic where I can't imagine any reason to back them up
like swap files.