On 2023-01-08 08:14, Sjoerd Mullender wrote:

and see the difference in behavior.  When using "all", the second round (IPv4) says that bind returns 1 unexpectedly, and the port is also unexpected.  When using "localhost", both IPv6 and IPv4 succeed and listen to the same port, but using two different sockets internally.

The behavior for the "all" case is different with the older kernel 6.0.15-300.fc37.x86_64 where bind will say "Address already in use".

I think I see what you're saying, now.  In your initial message, I thought you were saying that older kernels would let you bind to the same port on IPv4, but your example code shows that the system errors, "bind: Address already in use", which is what I'd expected.

I haven't reverted this commit (included in 6.0.16) to verify that it's the problem, but it *does* look kind of suspicious:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/commit/net/ipv6/af_inet6.c?id=7a7160edf1bfde25422262fb26851cef65f695d3

If possible, I'd revert that one change from 6.0.16.  If it restores the expected behavior, you can file a bug with very specific information about the cause.