francis.montag...@inria.fr composed on 2023-03-06 08:01 (UTC+0100):

> On Mon, 06 Mar 2023 01:47:44 -0500 Felix Miata wrote:

>> Can anyone reconcile the following?
>> # journalctl -b --no-hostname | grep pulse
>> Mar 06 01:38:45 systemd[577]: pulseaudio.socket - Sound System was skipped
>> because of a failed condition check (ConditionUser=!root).
>> Mar 06 01:38:45 systemd[577]: pulseaudio.service - Sound Service was skipped
>> because of a failed condition check (ConditionUser=!root).

> A systemd user for root has been attempted (pid 577, not 1).
> The ConditionUser forbid to start it.

>> # systemctl cat pulseaudio.service
>> No files found for pulseaudio.service.
>> # systemctl cat pulseaudio.socket
>> No files found for pulseaudio.socket.
>> #

> This is a user unit. Use thus: systemctl --user cat pulseaudio.service

Interesting. How would a global configuration change be implemented, since any
edit made for a user who runs it goes into a user settings directory?

> You seem to have pulseaudio installed, but as far as I now, pipewire should
> replace it nowadays.

I'm not against change, but this is a result of several years of
system-upgrades,
and I've never seen anything explaining how to make a switch:
# rpm -qa | grep -iE 'pulse|wire'
pulseaudio-libs-16.1-4.fc37.x86_64
pulseaudio-16.1-4.fc37.x86_64
pulseaudio-libs-glib2-16.1-4.fc37.x86_64
# dnf search pipewire | wc -l
Last metadata expiration check: 2:43:14 ago on Mon 06 Mar 2023 12:29:01 AM EST.
54
#
With close to 54 possibilities, it's unlikely I'd choose correctly what to
install,
or whether or which pulse packages to remove. Is there a conversion script
available?
Googling

        site:fedoraproject.org switch from pulseaudio to pipewire

Produced
https://ask.fedoraproject.org/t/how-do-i-switch-from-pulseaudio-to-pipewire-and-back/27441
that seemed appropriate, but clicking on it loaded
https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/article-proposal-playing-with-modular-synth/27441
instead. 2nd hit was
https://ask.fedoraproject.org/t/how-to-switch-from-pipewire-to-pulseaudio-on-fedora-37/29356
but clicking it produced 404. The few remaining I skipped. Searching elsewhere
was also
unhelpful. :(
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
        based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata