xscreensaver is controlled by xscreensaver-command. If
xscreensaver-command is called with the argument -deactivate
it behaves as if a key was pressed.

On my laptop running F37 that is happening every minute or so, so no
screensaver. (F36 did not have the problem)

Replacing that command with a script that runs pstree shows

 |-wpa_supplicant,952 -c
                /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf -u -s
  `-xscreensaver-co,1119 /usr/bin/xscreensaver-command -deactivate
  `-pstree,1119 -agl

AFAIK there is no reason why wpa_supplicant should want to disable
xscreensaver. I have two wifi networks, one local (not unusual) ans
starlink.

Suggestions for additional investigation would be appreciated.