On 6/2/23 04:56, lejeczek via users wrote:
Hi guys

I have one specific user whose PS1 if not set in .bash_profile, is taken from somewhere else. At the same time globally I set PS1 in /etc/environment - bu that, this one user does not honor.
I've tried a few terminal/console apps - no difference.

Where else can PS1 be set and/or how to find out here PS1 for a user/account was set?

It may be because of how the user is invoking bash. A lot has changed since the times before bash and users had teletypes so there is much history WRT what is sourced on shell invocation.

This link explains which files in which order and why:

https://www.gnu.org/savannah-checkouts/gnu/bash/manual/bash.html#Bash-Startup-Files

Hope that helps,
Mike Wright