On Mon, Nov 20, 2023 at 11:07 PM Tim <ignored_mail...@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> On Mon, 2023-11-20 at 20:05 -0500, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> > And I may be doing something dumb, like not configuring one of the
> > apps correctly. (I am used to using Cheese to open cameras like this,
> > but I am not on Ubuntu).
>
> I thought cheese was still available, here.
>
> What about VLC?

Cheese and VLC are not installed.

> And mplayer/smplayer/gmplayer/etc (there's various graphical front ends
> for mplayer).

Mplayer is not installed. But I did not check the others. I'm trying
to stay within the KDE bounds. I don't want to bring in anything with
a lot of dependencies, or anything from GNOME.

I eventually got Kamoso to work. Kamoso tricked me in round one. It
defaults to the laptop's built-in camera with no indication of the
source. My laptop has one of those blanking clips over the laptop
camera, so it looked like a misbehaving camera program. You have to go
into settings and configuration to select an alternate source. Kamoso
really needs a drop-down list on the main UI to make it obvious what
it is showing.

Jeff