On Thu, 23 Nov 2023 14:03:14 -0600
Ranjan Maitra via users <users@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I know this is OT, but someone here might know the answer to this.
>
> So, I like the ability to highlight with my mouse left button, and
> paste with my middle (scroll) button. It works on `xterm` but not
> necessarily on my firefox window (some other windows too, but I do
> not recall now). Is there a way to set this up so that it can work
> reliably on every window?

Thanks for asking about this.  I have also noticed this, but have just
lived with it.  This still works in virtual consoles.  I tend to edit
there because of that.  I can just double click, on something I want to
put in, and center click to paste at the cursor.

The one I notice with this problem is claws mail.  It used to work the
way I describe above, and then it just stopped doing that.  Now it needs
a Ctrl-C to copy the highlighted text, then move to the cursor location,
and then paste with Ctrl-V.  I have also noticed that some applications
(Pan?) give no time to cut anymore, but used to work just fine.

I don't know how to track down the problem.  I'm using X, is this a
consequence of substituting XWayland for X?  Wayland is missing obscure
corner cases that worked in X, I think, and I wonder if this could be
one of them.  A side effect of enhanced security of some kind?  It sure
is annoying.