On Sun, Dec 31, 2023 at 4:12 PM Beartooth <bearto...@comcast.net> wrote:

>         I don't do bluetooth. I think I have it, but I'm not even sure
> what it is.
>
> Bluetooth (BT) is a low-power, short range wireless protocol.  It is often
used with
smartphones, keyboards, mice, headsets, and TV remotes (replacing IR).

After the puppy chewed up my BT ear buds, I haven't used it regularly, but
some
financial institutions expect me to use a smartphone as a "what you have
factor" for
authentication.  Previously I had to use a landline and wait in a queue to
speak to
an agent, now I can use a web browser and avoid the long wait for the agent
"Next".

The new system uses BT to ensure that the phone is close to the PC.   If I
leave
my phone in another room, it won't allow me to login until I bring the
phone closer to
the PC.  I'm able to login using Fedora Firefox, so a big step forward over
apps
that only work with Windows.  My other banks have been "evaluating"
two-factor
authentication while reducing call-centre staff and closing branches, so I
use of BT
may become the norm.

Laptops usually have some "airplane mode" key combination to disable both
wifi
and BT.

--
George N. White III