> Am 07.02.2024 um 21:29 schrieb Terry Polzin <foxec...@gmail.com>:
>
> Trying to access the java based GUI on an old brocade fiber switch. Can
> anyone help? Fedora 39.
>

> javaws "http://<IP address>/switchExplorer.html"
> selected jre: /usr/lib/jvm/jre-17-openjdk
> WARNING: package sun.applet not in java.desktop
> WARNING: package com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl not in java.base
> WARNING: package javax.jnlp not in java.desktop
> WARNING: A terminally deprecated method in java.lang.System has been called
> WARNING: System::setSecurityManager has been called by
> net.sourceforge.jnlp.runtime.JNLPRuntime
> WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of
> net.sourceforge.jnlp.runtime.JNLPRuntime
> WARNING: System::setSecurityManager will be removed in a future release
> Unable to use Firefox's proxy settings. Using "DIRECT" as proxy type.
> netx: Read Error: Could not read or parse the JNLP file. (Root element is not
> a jnlp element.)
>
> TIA
> --

It looks to me like you should try an older JRE first. The oldest version
available in Fedora is java-1.8.0-openjdk. If I remember correctly it includes
the old sun classes. With version 11, Oracle has started to actually remove
some classes that have long been obsolete.

If this helps, but there are still problems with SecurityManager, this may be
due to the "special" configuration that Oracle chose for the free version. Then
perhaps switching to Azul's JDK could help. I can't tell exactly from the
warnings.

--
Peter Boy
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pboy

Timezone: CET (UTC+1) / CEST (UTC+2)

Fedora Server Edition Working Group member
Fedora Docs team contributor and board member
Java developer and enthusiast